New City Catechism
Part 3: Spirit, Restoration. Growing in Christ.
36. What do we believe about the Holy Spirit?
That he is God, coeternal with the Father and the Son.
37. How does the Holy Spirit help us?
The Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin, and he enables us to pray and to understand God’s Word.
38. What is prayer?
Prayer is pouring out our hearts to God.
39. With what attitude should we pray?
With love, perseverance, and gratefulness.
40. What should we pray?
The whole Word of God directs us in what we should pray.
41. What is the Lord’s Prayer?
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
42. How is the Word of God to be read and heard?
With diligence, preparation, and prayer; so that we may accept it with faith and practice it in our lives.
43. What are the sacraments or ordinances?
Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
44. What is baptism?
Baptism is the washing with water in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
45. Is baptism with water the washing away of sin itself?
No, only the blood of Christ can cleanse us from sin.
46. What is the Lord’s Supper?
Christ commanded all Christians to eat bread and to drink from the cup in thankful remembrance of him.
47. Does the Lord’s Supper add anything to Christ’s atoning work?
No, Christ died once for all.
48. What is the church?
A community elected for eternal life and united by faith, who love, follow, learn from, and worship God together.
49. Where is Christ now?
Christ rose bodily from the grave on the third day after his death and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
50. What does Christ’s resurrection mean for us?
Christ triumphed over sin and death so that all who trust in him are raised to new life in this world and to everlasting life in the world to come.
51. Of what advantage to us is Christ’s ascension?
Christ is now advocating for us in the presence of his Father and also sends us his Spirit.
52. What hope does everlasting life hold for us?
That we will live with and enjoy God forever in the new heaven and the new earth, where we will be forever freed from all sin in a renewed, restored creation.